Why Support Nationals in Ministry?
- First, it is wise stewardship. It costs approximately $25,000 to $50,000 per year to support a Western missionary on the mission field. Costs related to denominationally funded missionaries are at the highest end of the spectrum. Financially assisting nationals involved in ministry can cost as little as 1/20th of the cost associated with Western missionaries.
- Second, we are following the Biblical example of supporting those in need who are actively and sacrificially serving Christ. Read 2 Corinthians chapters 8 and 9 with a focus on 8:13-15 and 9:10-15.
- Third, the presence of Western missionaries in some parts of the world perpetuates the myth that Christianity is the religion of the West.
- Fourth, Western missionaries seldom are effective today in reaching Asians and establishing local churches in the villages of Asia.
- Fifth, the money Western missionaries bring can inhibit the natural growth by producing in national churches and ministries a dependent relationship with those sponsoring the missionaries. We take a view that we can financially assist at key points to maximize the impact without fostering a dependent relationship.
- Sixth, national Christians can go forward with kingdom building activities in countries where Western missionaries cannot even openly exist. Of the more than 70,000 North American missionaries now actively commissioned, only 5,000 are working with the totally unreached hidden people who make up 70 percent of all the unevangelized people (100s of millions of people) in the world. Ralph Winter, general director of the U.S. Center for World Missions, estimates 95 percent of all missionaries are working among the existing churches or where the Gospel already is preached.
- Seventh, financially supporting these servants of God is investing kingdom assets into the kingdom fields that are "white unto harvest".
- God has led IMD International to join hearts and arms with national ministries through whom He is working to reach the lost world. We need you to join us in helping support the work of these committed, national ministries. We are not fully supporting any of these ministries. But, by God's grace, we will focus our financial support on specific teaching and training projects, events, or aspects of the ministries.
- Furthermore, we will join with these servants personally to encourage them in their work. We know these ministries well having been on the field with them numerous times. They are doing great works with what they have. They could do so much more with our help. We can make a huge difference with our contribution of funds, with our prayers, and with our face-to-face encouragement.
NOTE: This document is not meant to negate the value of Western missionaries serving in obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ. There are numerous roles that profit from their service and some that seem to even demand their service. Glory to God for all engaged in whatever means to make disciples of all ethnic groups. All called by God to missions are encouraged to fully obey Him.